According to foreign media reports, Sensor Tower, a mobile application data analysis platform, released a report today saying that global app revenue in the third quarter of this year was US$21.9 billion, an increase of 22.9% compared with US$17.9 billion in the same period last year.

Among them, the Apple App Store app store accounted for 65% of the total revenue, while the Google Play app store accounted for the remaining 35%.

In the third quarter, App Store users spent $14.2 billion, up 22.3 percent from $11.6 billion a year earlier. Google Play users spent $7.7 billion, up 24 percent from $6.2 billion a year earlier.

Global app revenue in the third quarter was $21.9 billion, with the Apple App Store accounting for 65%

In contrast, Sensor Tower’s revenue figures are slightly lower than that of App Annie, another mobile app data analytics platform. App Annie also released a report today that global consumer spending on apps in the third quarter was $23 billion, slightly higher than Sensor Tower’s $21.9 billion.

Sensor Tower data also shows that global app downloads in the third quarter were 29.6 billion, an increase of 9.7% year-on-year. Among them, Google Play accounted for 21.6 billion times, which means that Google Play is still the dominant download source of apps.

While overall downloads continued to grow, app downloads in the Chinese market declined slightly. According to Sensor Tower data, the number of app downloads in the Chinese market in the third quarter was 2.2 billion, down 6% year-on-year. Despite the decline in downloads, app revenue in China rose 26.9 percent to $4.1 billion from $3.2 billion a year earlier.

The report pointed out that the slight decline in app downloads in the Chinese market in the third quarter may be due to China’s suspension of game license approvals for up to 9 months. It should be pointed out that Sensor Tower’s data does not include third-party app stores, so it cannot fully reflect the full picture of the Chinese app market.

Global app revenue in the third quarter was $21.9 billion, with the Apple App Store accounting for 65%

The report also showed that the world’s most profitable non-gaming app remained Tinder in the third quarter, generating $233 million in consumer spending, an increase of 7 percent from the previous quarter. Netflix came in second and YouTube came in third with $164 million in revenue.

In contrast, App Annie’s numbers are slightly different: Tinder and Netflix are still in the top two positions, but iQiyi, not YouTube, is third.

Based on downloads, TikTok continues to challenge Facebook’s dominance. In the third quarter, WhatsApp topped the list for downloads, followed by TikTok, Messenger in third, and Facebook and Instagram fourth and fifth.

Global app revenue in the third quarter was $21.9 billion, with the Apple App Store accounting for 65%

Sensor Tower said this isn’t the first time TikTok has overtaken Facebook. TikTok surpassed Facebook in both the fourth quarter of 2018 and the first quarter of 2019, before falling back to fourth place again last quarter. In the third quarter, TikTok hit 177 million downloads, getting closer to the top-ranked WhatsApp.

In contrast, App Annie data shows that TikTok was the third most downloaded in the third quarter, behind Messenger and Facebook.

Mobile games remained the main revenue generator, generating $16.3 billion in the third quarter, accounting for 74% of total in-app spending. Of the $16.3 billion in game revenue, the App Store accounted for $9.8 billion and Google Play accounted for $6.5 billion.

Global app revenue in the third quarter was $21.9 billion, with the Apple App Store accounting for 65%

Overall game downloads on Google Play and the App Store grew 17.6% in the third quarter, from 9.5 billion last year to 11.1 billion.

Global app revenue in the third quarter was $21.9 billion, with the Apple App Store accounting for 65%

Based on downloads, the top three games are Fun Race 3D (123 million downloads), PUBG Mobile (94 million downloads) and Mario Kart Tour), although the latter in late September It just launched, but it has been downloaded 86 million times.

PUBG Mobile was the top-grossing game, with revenue of $496 million in the third quarter, up 652% year-over-year. In second place was Tencent’s “Honor of Kings,” with revenue of $377 million. Fate/Grand Order came in third with $354 million in revenue.

The Links:   FS100R12KE3-B3 6MBI200FB-060